About Me

My photo

About me - I'm a Christian (Pentecostal), Married to Wendy, two step children Thomas and Natalie, dog and rose-crested cockateel(Beauty). I've been a miniature hobbyist for over twenty years; I occasionally wargame at my local club or at home with friends. I set up my commission painting service in 2014, so I spend a lot of time painting!

Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Panoceania Fusiliers Part 2

Hi Guys,

Got a fair bit done on the PanO Fusilier, pleased with the results so far. Please scroll through the pics below and Ill describe what Ive done.

First think I did today was airbrush a layer of gloss varnish, this will protect the work so far and make it easier for the wash thats coming next to flow easier into the gaps. The wash is a 1:1 mix of Prussian Blue:Lamp Black water colours. Im using water colours as it flows into the gaps well and where it strays, I can easily clean-up up with a damp brush or cotton bud. This wash helps to define the edges of the armour and helps to make it stand out.







Next I painted the eyes. I thought I would do this before painting the face as this would enable me to clean-up mistakes easier(I made several, those eyes are fiddly). I painted the eye sockets with a thinned coat of Smokey Ink(VGC). Eye shapes were painted inside these brown areas with a thinned coat of Off White(VGC). I aimed to get these shapes to match in size/shape and several time had to use the previous colour to clean-up or simply re-start. Next the pupils were dotted in with black, then a final white dot is added to the centre of the pupil. The overall result is an determined stir(see the sixth pic below).

With the eyes completed, I could basecoat the face and the rest of the non-blue areas. I used the following colours:
Face/skin - Cork Brown(VMC), Light Brown cloth - US Field Drab(VMC), dark brown cloth - Chocolate Brown(VMC), Grey cloth - Dark Grey(VMC), black areas - Black(VMC), green OSL - Heavy Black Green(VGC), red OSL - Black Red(VGC)








Another coat of gloss varnish prior to the next wash, this one with thinned lamp black water colour. I basically washed the mini, avoiding areas were i wanted to keep the previous blue was and any large flat surfaces. I quick blast with the hair drier then in with a damp cotton bud. This method is so easy, like wiping dust of the mini, with the lighter shade revealed beneath.








Im looking forward to the next stages, as I add the highlights and hopefully make this guy pop!

As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment